If you have a device running Windows RT, chances are you're missing one or more of your favorite apps. Here are five alternatives that could be worth a download, depending on what you're looking for.
For all its speedy touch-screen goodness, one of the biggest drawbacks of Windows 8 RT is that it doesn't let you install third-party programs through its desktop screen. Unlike the standard version of Windows 8, RT restricts you to first-party programs (made by Microsoft) through its desktop, but gives you free rein to install whatever you want through the Windows Store. The problem is that at this point the Window Store is just too thin to make up for the loss of several popular third-party programs. Fortunately, we did a little research and found a few alternative apps that could help fill the void left by your missing faves.
- Microsoft: x86 Apps Will Run On ARM Chips At Near-Native Performance
- Microsoft video shows Windows on ARM running full Windows 10 and x86 apps
- Windows 10 Creators Update Brings Cortana on the Raspberry Pi
- The Revolution Begins: Snapdragon 835 Device Runs Windows 10 and Android 7
- Windows 10 PCs Powered by Snapdragon 835 “Won’t Be Too Expensive,” Qualcomm Says