If you have a device running Windows RT, chances are you're missing one or more of your favorite apps. Here are five alternatives that could be worth a download, depending on what you're looking for.
For all its speedy touch-screen goodness, one of the biggest drawbacks of Windows 8 RT is that it doesn't let you install third-party programs through its desktop screen. Unlike the standard version of Windows 8, RT restricts you to first-party programs (made by Microsoft) through its desktop, but gives you free rein to install whatever you want through the Windows Store. The problem is that at this point the Window Store is just too thin to make up for the loss of several popular third-party programs. Fortunately, we did a little research and found a few alternative apps that could help fill the void left by your missing faves.
- Microsoft: Skype app will stop working on Windows Phone and Windows RT in "early 2017"
- A developer is working to bring Windows 10 Mobile to the Surface RT
- Windows RT will not be able to run Universal apps after Update 3 is released
- Futuremark Discontinues 3DMark for Windows RT
- Audible jumps on board the Windows 10 bandwagon, removes app for Windows RT