If you have a device running Windows RT, chances are you're missing one or more of your favorite apps. Here are five alternatives that could be worth a download, depending on what you're looking for.
For all its speedy touch-screen goodness, one of the biggest drawbacks of Windows 8 RT is that it doesn't let you install third-party programs through its desktop screen. Unlike the standard version of Windows 8, RT restricts you to first-party programs (made by Microsoft) through its desktop, but gives you free rein to install whatever you want through the Windows Store. The problem is that at this point the Window Store is just too thin to make up for the loss of several popular third-party programs. Fortunately, we did a little research and found a few alternative apps that could help fill the void left by your missing faves.
- Microsoft delivers RemoteApp client for ARM-based Windows RT devices
- Ex-Mozilla engineer blames Microsoft's rules for Metro Firefox's death
- How to update Office 2013 RT to SP1
- Windows RT Tablets, x86 applications and Windows Server Remote Desktop Services. A better together Microsoft Experience
- New VLC for Windows RT screenshots released, still pending Windows Store approval